Friday, November 8, 2013

Called to Serve Him.

"I hope they call me on a mission, when I have grown a foot or two. I hope by then I will be ready to teach and preach and work as missionaries do." Hearing this song growing up, I was always in-denial. I was not going to serve a mission. I had my reasons, not legit reasons but, reasons none the less. 

1: Girls that serve missions are weird
2: I haven't grown even an inch since eighth grade so growing a foot or two was NOT an option.
3: Uhm, what sane person wants to leave all the cute boys and home to go somewhere for 18 months. I'm just gonna get married instead.

Things change darlings. Last thursday, I received my mission call. AH! It was the longest wait of my life, to present day. I submitted those papers declaring that I would love to serve the Lord if he would allow so, on July 1st. Wait... wait... wait... wait. Finally on July 25, 2013 my call arrived. Only twenty-five days later (it normally takes 10-14). I called my mom from work that morning and she told me it had came. By 2:30 I was ready to bust out the doors to head home. Low and behold, Elder Jeffery Roy Holland comes into the restaraunt! Cherish Syrett told him that my call had come and he gave me a hug, said how proud he was, let me get a picture with him, and I was in shock. Had I really just met one of my favorite apostles on the day my mission call came?! HECK YEAH! I headed home, got ready, waited for family and friends to come over, then I opened that huge envelope (words of advice to anybody that gets a call- those envelopes are a pain in the butt to open).



Shaking as the letter was glistening before my eyes, I slowly read:
Dear Sister Veater,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Mexico, Mexico City South Mission! You will report to the Provo MTC on November 20, 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language.

I cried, I screamed, I jumped, I laughed. Honestly, one of the most nerve racking, comforting, scariest, most adrenalin pumping moments in my entire life. 

    



I looked over to see my Uncle Chad crying, my mom laying on the floor bawling/passed out, my dad asking my uncle if I just said Mexico and all the rest just staring in disbelief. I finally asked somebody to come give me a hug so I could breathe again. I was and still am in shock. I was certain that I was going to be called to serve in Ohio, Iowa, East Coast, or London. I even read it twice because I was convinced it said Mexico, Ohio. But, now- I can see clearly that this is where I am supposed to serve and if I would have just opened my eyes, I would have known before that I would be serving there.

    •  Sister Shalee Brown told me before she reported that she "just knew I was going there."
    • My Great Grandpa Excell had started his papers to serve there as a couple. They shut down the mission right before and he chose not to go.
    • It was the ONE place my mom didn't want me to go. The Lord is funny.  
    • The two ladies at work (Susanna and Karla) that I have been talking to the church about are both from Mexico! They have even started missionary discussions and attending church!



      So now, you tell me. Does the Lord really know what he is doing or is this just all plain irony? I think not. 
      I am so thankful to have the opportunity to serve the people of Mexico City! Just from the things my Grandpa has told me about the people and from knowing some of them personally already, I can feel their love, devotion, kindness, and sincerity towards all man kind. I cannot wait to aid in bringing them more happiness and love from the Savior by testifying of the fullness of this Gospel which I love and cherish with all my heart and soul. I am so thankful that I have had the privilege to grow closer to my perfect Savior and Redeemer by preparing to preach, and teach, and work as missionaries do. I am also so thankful for the missionary opportunities that have been placed before me- the chances I have had to give people a simple book that changes lives and to testify of it, for the people at work that have already put forth effort to aid in my espanol. Now the song has changed verses and  "I hope that I can share the gospel with those who want to know the truth. I want to be a missionary and serve and help the Lord while I am in my youth."

 Random Facts about Mexico City South areas
- Mexico City is the 10th largest city in the world, population wise (19,463,000)
-Tlalpan is right near a volcano peak
-Iztapalapa is the highest rape and women violence. There are 480 murders a year
-The average for majority of the cities is 77-80 degrees.
-A majority of the Book of Mormon ruins are in my area. EX: Where King Benjamin taught. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment